Monday, March 28, 2011

20.01 km

LOL - map my run is very accurate with their mapping!

My 20k run this weekend turned into more of a 10k run + 10k walk. I'm not sure what happened, I think my heart just wasn't into it, which lead to my brain telling my body to stop running. Once my brain starts working against me, it's usually game over. Although it was tempting to hop on one of the many buses that passed me or to just take a shortcut home, I still did the full distance anyway. The weird thing is that my time was only a little bit slower than my chilly half marathon time...I find it a little disturbing since I was running for most of the race. So either I was running a very fast 10k and just couldn't hold my pace or I only run slightly faster than I walk. My first 5k was about 5 minutes faster than usual, but I'm not sure what time I passed the 10k mark. I'm not going to panic too much about having a crappy run, there are still 6 weeks left before my half-marathon. Next weekend there will be a fresh new run for me to enjoy.

I gave gels another try this past weekend - I had GU Strawberry Banana. I didn't really understand what people meant when they said that they didn't like the feeling of all the gels sloshing around in their stomach during their runs - I thought, well, how different can it possibly be than having water on your runs? I was fine for the first gel, but after the second one, I could really feel everything moving around in there. It felt really weird - almost like my stomach was a waterbed! Also, I don't like the banana flavour very much, it reminds me too much of banana-flavoured antibiotics from my childhood. (Actually I thought that I had picked up the regular strawberry gels at the store - so it was my own fault for buying the wrong flavour.) I'm out of gels for now, so I'm going back to chews next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment